Online Dating Chat
Whether you are new to online chat rooms or consider yourself an old pro, step up your game with online chat etiquette information. Learn how to choose an online dating chat room and which topics are and are not appropriate for discussion.
Click on a tip to learn more
- Appropriate Topics To Discuss In A Chat Room
- Chat Room Etiquette
- Choosing A Dating Chat Room
- Choosing A Screen Name
- Safety & Online Dating Chats
- Entering A Chat Room
Appropriate Topics To Discuss In A Chat Room
What is appropriate to discuss in chat rooms?
Along with etiquette, it's also important to remember what topics are appropriate for chat rooms and which ones aren't. Since the Internet doesn't put you face-to-face with someone, it's easy to be more bold and less timid with questions. You just have to be careful that you don't invade someone's privacy by asking a question that is too personal or forward.
Some appropriate chat topics and questions include:
- What do you do for a living?
- What are your favorite hobbies?
- What are your interests?
- What do you look for in a partner?
- Where are you from?
Some inappropriate topics and questions include:
- What is the address for your job?
- What is your home address?
- What is your last name?
- Have you ever been married before?
- What are your religious or political views?
The only exceptions to some of these is when you're in a themed chat room. For example, if you are in a chat room for Republicans, it's ok to discuss political views. Otherwise, hold off until you get to know someone better.
Also, never ask someone why they are single and looking online. It will be considered rude. In addition, don't ask the same question repeatedly. If someone isn't answering one of your questions, there is probably a good reason why.
Chat Room Etiquette
What is some chat etiquette to follow?
Like all facets of life, there are conventions of etiquette. Chat rooms are no different. Chat etiquette ensures that all users will enjoy an effective and fun chatting experience.
While it is understandable and expected that those who are new to chat rooms won't know all the conventions of chat etiquette, you should learn quickly.
One of the major things to remember while chatting is to not hog the chat room. Don't keep sending message after message or one word at a time. Write out a full sentence or a few phrases and wait for replies before continuing.
Remember that typing in all capital letters denotes anger and is the equivalent to yelling. Type as you would if you were writing a letter or an email to a friend.
Address people by using their screen name followed by a colon. If you know someone's real name, don't use it in the chat room. They may not want everyone knowing their real name.
Introduce yourself to the entire chat when you first sign in. Logging in and instantly directing a question to one person is rude.
Don't multitask. If you're in a chat room, chat. Don't watch television, surf the internet or read at the same time. It will be obvious when you ask the same question twice or disappear for a considerable amount of time.
Choosing A Dating Chat Room
How do I choose a chat room?
If you're ready to enter the world of online dating, entering chat rooms are a great way to go about it. Online chat rooms give you instant access to all sorts of singles. The first step, however, is choosing a place to chat.
There are chat rooms for all types of people and on all types of themes. Some include:
- Senior singles
- Singles seeking people of a certain race
- Singles seeking people of a specific religion, such as Christian singles, Jewish singles or Catholic singles
- Singles with a certain interest
- Singles in a certain geographic location
To help you choose a chat room, think about your interests. Are you only interested in meeting another Protestant? Do you only want to date people that are the same race as you? There are chat rooms designated for all sorts of specifics, choosing one depends on personal preference.
Since some chat rooms are so broad, a good basis is choosing a chat room that is geographically specific. If you have a great conversation with someone and later learn they live 600 miles from you, you may find it harder to grow the relationship, but long distant relationships can work.
You'll also want to decide whether you are willing to pay for a chat room or not. Since there are hundreds of free chat rooms, paying for one probably isn't worth your while, unless the chat site offers added features that aren't available on free sites.
Choosing A Screen Name
How do I choose my own screenname for online chating?
Once you've selected a dating site, you'll want to choose a screen name to use in the chat room. Screen names are how other users will identify and address you. Some things to consider are:
- A screen name says a lot about you and is the first thing others in single chat rooms will see.
- Pick something original. Originality is essential. You don't want to be the fifth Jenny in the room.
- Be appropriate. Don't use a name that is too sexual or perverse. You're only going to attract people who are looking for sex rather than a relationship.
- Avoid negative screen names like: HeartBroken.
- Avoid desperate sounding screen names like: Longing2HoldSome1.
- Strange arrangements of numbers and letters are a turnoff.
To help select your screen name, think of your qualities, hobbies and interests. You can pair these items up to create a catchy screen name. For instance, if you are bubbly and like to sing, maybe you want your name to be BubblySinger or simply, MissBubbly. Or, if you love to travel and like the snow: SnowTraveler. Or, you can add in your geographic location. For instance, SeattleSwimmer. You want your screen name to reflect something about you and appeal to others.
Safety & Online Dating Chats
What do I do involving safety and online dating chats?
It's important that you practice some safety tips while you are in an online chat room. While the Internet is relatively safe, there's always the chance that you'll come across a scammer or someone with ill intentions. Practice some of these safety tips:
Be Wary of Scams
- If you are paying for the chat room site you use, the website will never ask you for your bank or credit card information over email.
- Never give out your credit card or bank account information to anyone online.
- Never give someone in a chat room your social security number.
- Don't purchase something from someone in a chat room. If you do, send a check or money order to their house.
Keep Yourself Safe
- Don't give out your personal contact information.
- Don't give anyone your last name.
- Don't trust everything someone tells you.
- Monitor your chat conversations if you think someone is being dishonest. You can save your conversations for future reference.
- Before calling someone from the Internet, block your phone number
- Only meet up with someone offline when you are 100 percent ready and comfortable to do so.
- When you do decide to meet up with someone, meet during the day in a public place. Be sure to notify your friends and family of your date.
Entering A Chat Room
What do I do when I enter a chat room?
Once you've selected a chat room, you're ready to enter a room. Most sites have a number of different rooms to choose from. Choose one with a title you like and sign in.
When you first enter the site, read over the other screen names in the room. See if you find any of them intriguing or appealing. Watch out for ones that seem too perverted.
Next, observe the conversation of the chat room. What are people discussing? Is it a conversation you can jump into? Do you like the conversation topic? If not, you can leave the room and enter another one before saying anything.
Before becoming part of a conversation in any chat room, introduce yourself to everyone. People will most likely say "Hi," so you should respond back. Then you should start talking and become an active participant in the conversation.
Read the chat conversation carefully and see if you like what one user is saying in particular. Or, just get an idea of what you can contribute to the room.
For your first time in a chat room, you may want to be a "lurker". Lurkers are users that sign into chat rooms but don't engage in the actual chat. This gives newcomers an idea of how chat rooms work, what their purpose is and how to join into a discussion.
- Top 7 Tips to Better Dating
- Contacting Online Matches
- Making an Online Connection
- Creating a Great Online Dating Profile
- Personalize Your Online Dating Profile
- Date Locations by City
- Ideas for Dates in Any Location
- Finding People with Common Backgrounds
- Initial Contact
- First Date Preparation
- First Date Success
- Introduction to Online Dating
- Contacting Someone Online
- Chat Room Conversations
- Online Dating Etiquette
- Attracting the Right Person
- Online Dating Safety
- Using Caution with Personal Information
- Preparing for Senior Dating
- Senior Dating
- Taking an Online Relationship Offline
- Maintaining a Relationship Offline